You are currently viewing Stranraer 0-0 Forfar Athletic

Stranraer 0-0 Forfar Athletic

Stranraer failed to turn a dominant performance into three points as neither team could find a breakthrough.

The Blues came into the game looking to bounce back after a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Bonnyrigg Rose.

Jamie Hamill made a double change in preparation of a Forfar Athletic side chasing the play-off places at the right end of the table.

Anton Brady and James Hilton were brought into the starting line-up with Jonny Ngandu and Aaron Brown dropping to the bench.

Stranraer enjoyed the bulk of the chances over the 90 minutes, although neither team really forced either goalkeeper into anything beyond a straight-forward save.

Grant Gallagher pulled a shot wide of the post in the opening five minutes while Matty Grant put a header beyond the same upright and Brady also curled a shot off target.

Marc McCallum was called into action on the half hour mark.

Luke Watt played a long ball up the park and Hilton collected the second ball 25 yards from goal.

He took a touch and then hit a decent shot, which was too close to the goalkeeper, who held on to it comfortably.

Then, 10 minutes before the interval, the former Livingston shotstopper had to deny Grant.

He collected Gallagher’s deflected cross, turned quickly but he was stretching to hit his shot and only poked it towards the goalkeeper.

Stranraer continued their upper hand into the second half and came close to breaking the deadlock.

Hilton was the provider as he skipped beyond a couple of challenges and cut open the defence with a pass through to Brady.

The midfielder swept his shot beyond the reach of McCallum but also beyond the post.

Seven minutes later and the Blues were again on target but Sean McIntosh’s bouncing volley was easy enough for the goalkeeper.

Then, on the hour mark, Stranraer again forced the visiting number one into action.

Hilton cleverly dummied the ball, which allowed Scott Robertson to flick it back into his path.

Hilton hit the shot cleanly and McCallum was able to get down and make the save at the second attempt.

When Stranraer did manage to get the ball in the net, it was ruled out by referee Steven Kirkland.

Hilton challenged McCallum for Robertson’s looping cross and when the goalkeeper failed to gather the ball Josh Walker nodded it into the empty net.

However, the referee ruled that Hilton had fouled the goalkeeper in the build up to the goal.

Forfar had contributed little going forward but could have stolen all three points with 18 minutes left to play.

Substitute Craig Thomson broke free down the right and fizzed in a teasing ball but fellow replacement Matthew Aitken failed to divert his effort on target.

Positively, it was another clean sheet for Stranraer but the manager will be hoping they can convert their chances.

Stranraer: Scullion, Robertson, Girvan, Brady (Ngandu 80), Hilton (Malcolm 80), Gallagher, Walker, Ecrepont, Watt, McIntosh, Grant (Brown 87).
Not used: Forrest, Duffy and Downie.

Forfar Athletic: McCallum, Nditi, Docherty, Munro, Dunachie, Hutton (Aitken 71), Robson, Ross (Moore 64), McCluskey, Flanagan (Thomson 64), Armour.
Not used: Gillies, Brindley and Kennedy.

Referee: Steven Kirkland
Attendance: 303
HT: 0-0