You are currently viewing Stranraer 2-1 Peterhead

Stranraer 2-1 Peterhead

Scorers: Stranraer – Orr (26) and Fleming (33); Peterhead – Jason Brown (90+7)

First half strikes from Tom Orr and Kyle Fleming helped Scott Agnew extend his unbeaten run as Stranraer manager in the league to eight games.

The Blues served up a scintillating first half display which could have seen them go into the interval with more than their two goal lead.

Unsurprisingly, the manager named the same squad that had taken all three points against Clyde seven days earlier.

If the Blues had left it late on that occasion, they were in no mood to wait until the 96th minute against Peterhead.

Only 11 minutes were on the clock when Orr played Josh Walker through on goal.

The midfielder, unfortunately, took a bit of a heavy touch which allowed Stuart McKenzie to come out and narrow the angle before making the block as Walker tried to curl the ball round him.

The Blues were enjoying plenty of the ball and it was no surprise when the home side opened the scoring.

Thomas Orr was a thorn in the visitors’ side

Peterhead seemed to have survived a corner when they blocked Walker’s shot but Stranraer recycled possession.

Scott Robertson fired in a cross from the left and Orr was in the right place to blast home from close range.

Four minutes later and they could have doubled their advantage.

James Dolan nutmegged his defender before pulling the ball back to Fleming, who took a touch before Peterhead managed to throw bodies in the way to block his shot.

He did not have long to wait for his goal though as he raced onto Cammy Williamson’s ball down the wing.

McKenzie raced out to try to block the effort but Fleming was the coolest man in Stair Park and stroked his shot under the goalkeeper.

Five minutes before the break and Stranraer could have wrapped things up.

It was another impressive showing for James Dolan

Dolan again teased his defender and pulled the ball back to Orr, who was denied by an impressive McKenzie save.

Peterhead had to change things and gamble in a bid to get back into the game and made a double change at the break, with former Blue Conor O’Keefe coming on alongside Joe McKee.

The early stages of the second half showed little sign of change though and Orr could have added to their tally.

There seemed little danger when he collected the ball near the centre circle but he strode forward with purpose, holding off challenges and then beating McKenzie, only for his shot to go wide.

Dolan was then denied by the Peterhead number one and the visitors began to see more of ball over the last half hour.

With that in mind, they failed to truly test Martin McDonald, who comfortably held a Hamish Ritchie shot just before the hour mark.

Throwing men forward left gaps at the back and Stranraer had chances through Sean McIntosh, Orr and Walker.

Into stoppage time and the Blues could have had a penalty.

Dolan unselfishly cut the ball back to the onrushing Olly McDonald, who tumbled in the box after appearing to be pushed in the back.

Scott Agnew was dismissed after protesting the referee’s decision

Referee Ross Hardie gave nothing and then sent off Agnew for his protestations about the decision.

It seemed as if that would be the last piece of action until Peterhead managed to pull one back deep into stoppage time.

Jason Brown gambled and got on the end of Craig Ross’ attempted back pass before beating Martin McDonald.

It was too little too late for the visitors as the Blues took a well-deserved three points.

Stranraer: M McDonald, McIntosh, Robertson (C Ross 82), Girvan, Williamson, Walker (O McDonald 73), Fleming, Forest, Dolan, Armour (Hughes 84), Orr (Lang 73).
Not used: O’Connor.

Peterhead: McKenzie, D Strachan (Jordan Brown 70), Goldie (O’Keefe 46), Jason Brown, Jack Brown, Ritchie, R Strachan, McCarthy, S Ross (Reid 65), McAllister, Ward (McKee 46).
Not used: Wilson, Armstrong, Wood and Oluyemi.

Referee: Ross Hardie
Attendance: 444
HT: 2-0

Photos: Adrian Verity