You are currently viewing Stranraer 1-0 Clyde

Stranraer 1-0 Clyde

  • Post published:26 August 2023

Scorer: O McDonald (90+6)

A late, late effort from Olly McDonald was enough to ensure Stranraer maintained their unbeaten start to the season in memorable fashion.

For the second week in a row, a Scott Agnew substitution paid off in style.

Last week, Deryn Lang came off the bench to score an equaliser on his debut against Bonnyrigg Rose and seven days later it was McDonald’s turn to come on and grab a vital goal.

Agnew named the same starting line-up that had picked up a point in Midlothian but welcomed back Craig Ross from suspension.

Martin McDonald had to be off his line in the opening 60 seconds to block an attempted lob but gradually Stranraer started to settle into their rhythm.

Front duo Tom Orr and Ben Armour combined well on 20 minutes for the first real chance.

Dylan Forrest dictated much of Stranraer’s play

Orr did well on the left and cut into the box before laying the ball back into the path of Armour, whose effort swerved away from goal and wide of the post.

Then, four minutes before the break, the Blues should have got their noses in front.

Conor Scullion’s backpass was woefully short and Orr raced onto the loose ball.

He only had Jack Leighfield to beat but credit to the goalkeeper who stood tall at the edge of his box to make a block with his legs.

Armour then gathered the loose ball but from a tight angle could only find the side netting.

The Blues were kept at bay until the dying moments

Stranraer had created the best of the few clear cut chances in the first half and were first to threaten after the restart.

Orr’s first attempt at a cross was blocked but the ball fell kindly to the frontman who lifted the ball into the six-yard box.

Josh Walker had stolen in unmarked but put his header over the crossbar.

It looked like a matter of time before Stranraer got their noses in front but instead they were given two warnings within a matter of minutes.

Josh McCulloch whipped in a teasing low cross and Fraser Malcolm managed to get across his marker but could only poke the ball wide of the target.

Then, two minutes later, the Clyde bench were celebrating as they had the ball in the net.

Ji Stevenson, making his debut, raced onto a through ball and smashed through Martin McDonald only for the offside flag to go up.

That seemed to awaken Stranraer and it took a stunning stop from Leighfield to keep the scores blank just moments later.

The goal sparked jubilant scenes all around Stair Park

Dylan Forrest’s cross looked inch-perfect for Armour, who headed towards goal only for Leighfield to touch it over the bar.

Armour was then denied by the offside flag with about 10 minutes left and it looked as if the game would drift to a goalless stalemate.

That was until the 96th minute when Kyle Girvan flicked Forrest’s free-kick on and substitute McDonald fired home from close range to secure all three points.

It was harsh on Clyde but many of the Stranraer faithful will tell you their club have had enough hard luck stories to last a lifetime in recent years and would gladly take the points.

Stranraer: M McDonald, Robertson, Williamson (Hughes 69), Girvan, McIntosh, Walker (Lang 64), Dolan, Forrest, Fleming, Armour, Orr (O McDonald 76).
Not used: Ross and O’Connor.

Clyde: Leighfield, Lyon, Grant, Dunachie, McCulloch, Cuddihy, Stevenson (Duncan 89), Mulvanny (Cameron 78), Hynes, Scullion, Malcolm.
Not used: Parry.

Referee: Jordan Curran
Attendance: 478
HT: 0-0

Photos: Bill McCandlish