You are currently viewing Stranraer 2-1 Edinburgh City

Stranraer 2-1 Edinburgh City

Scorers: Stranraer – Armour (38) and Orr (Pen 79); Edinburgh City – Shanley (49)

Strikes from each of Stranraer’s frontmen gave the Blues a first win of the season.

The hosts were very much down to the bare bones with Matty Grant joining Josh Walker and Cammy Williamson on the injury list and Grant Gallagher missing out through suspension.

Carter McKane and Connor Phillips were again named on the bench alongside manager Scott Agnew, who last played for the Blues in April 2018.

Edinburgh City came into the game on the back of a defeat to Kelty Hearts, although the capital club had put in a decent showing in the 5-3 loss.

Sean McIntosh wore the captain’s armband in the absence of Grant Gallagher

Sean McIntosh was named captain as Agnew went with three at the back and his skipper and James Dolan acting as wing backs.

Dylan Forrest had fired off target in the opening five minutes before the Blues had the beating of Sam Ramsbottom.

An impressive Stranraer counter saw Dolan work the ball to Tom Orr, who cut inside two defenders before firing beyond the visiting number one, only to see his shot clip the base of the post.

Innes Murray curled a shot off target at the other end before Stranraer had a series of quickfire chances where they could have put the game to bed.

First, Forrest’s corner was hooked over the bar by Orr when it looked easier to score.

Robertson was unlucky not to break the deadlock

Then, within two minutes, Kyle Fleming’s free-kick to the back post was met by Scott Robertson.

The defender brought the ball down but then flashed his volley straight across the goal and wide of the opposite post.

Dean Hawkshaw then curled a free-kick over the bar after former Blue Lee Hamilton hauled down Orr.

McIntosh was denied by Ramsbottom before Stranraer finally made those chances count and took the lead.

Dolan did well on the left and instead of whipping in a cross he picked out Ben Armour, whose first time effort left Ramsbottom with no chance.

Ben Armour’s first-time strike rippled the net

The Blues had dominated much of the first half but the visitors were level within four minutes of the restart.

Substitute Quinn Mitchell pulled his shot from the left across goal but Ryan Shanley was able to reach it and steer the ball into the empty net.

All of a sudden, it was Edinburgh City who were posing the questions.

Shanley should have turned the game on its head two minutes later when Craig Ross slipped in the box.

The goalscorer only had Martin McDonald to beat but curled his shot round the goalkeeper and wide of the post.

Martin McDonald moved to Stranraer in the summer from Hurlford United

Barely 60 seconds later and Shanley again had the goalkeeper to beat but Ross got back to put him under sufficient pressure to put his shot wide.

Stranraer weathered the storm and came back into the contest with Orr seeing a shot blocked at close range before the game was decided in the final quarter hour.

Slack play at the back saw Armour seize on a loose ball and find his strike partner.

As Orr powered into the box, he was clipped by a desperate Murray.

Referee Ross Hardie flashed the red card to the Edinburgh City man before Orr kept his cool to blast beyond the reach of Ramsbottom.

Orr secured victory from the spot

The 10-man visitors had to push for a second equaliser but, in truth, it never really looked like materialising.

There were undoubtedly promising signs against Ross County seven days ago and that was build on against the League One visitors to Stair Park.

Three points and a much-needed morale boosting win before the Blues travel to another League One side, Kelty Hearts, on Tuesday.

Stranraer: McDonald, Robertson, Girvan, Ross, Dolan, Forrest, Fleming, McIntosh, Armour, Orr, Hawkshaw (Hughes 65).
Not used: McKane, Phillips, Agnew and O’Connor.

Edinburgh City: Ramsbottom, MacDonald (Mitchell 46), Hamilton, Mercer, Shanley, Handling, Mahon (Mair 77), Jacobs, McLean, Brian (Leitch 60), Murray.
Not used: Devine, Peter and Quate.

Referee: Ross Hardie
Attendance: 292
HT: 1-0