forfar 20200215 017

RYAN STEVENSON made it two goals in two weeks as Stranraer rescued a point at Station Park.

Forfar went in front after 15 minutes, but Stevenson's well-placed second half header earned the Blues a share of the spoils.

Stevie Farrell made one enforced change from the side which drew with league leaders Raith Rovers a week earlier, as Lewis McIntyre made a second start for his hometown club.

forfar 20200215 005

Station Park hasn't been a happy hunting ground for the Blues in recent years, and it would be a nightmare start in rainy Angus for the visitors.

With less than 15 minutes on the clock, Darren Whyte put the Loons ahead.

forfar 20200215 014

The defender was first to the delivery from a free kick out wide, and stretched to divert the ball into the bottom corner.

Stranraer looked to reply immediately, and almost did just that.

Forfar goalkeeper Marc McCallum spilled a cross into his own net at a Stranraer corner, but the goal was ruled out for an infringement.

forfar 20200215 015

Chances were at a premium for the remainder of the first half.

Robbie Leitch rounded Max Currie to slot home, but saw his goal ruled out for offside, before former Alloa man Jordan Kirkpatrick lashed a shot over.

McCallum, to his credit, atoned for his earlier mistake, preserving Forfar's lead by tipping over a Jamie Hamill volley and parrying a 20 yard effort form Stevenson.

forfar 20200215 011

Kirkpatrick would come close again with a dipping strike not long after the interval, but much like last week, Stranraer were the superior side in the second half.

And they could have taken all three points if decisions had gone their way, with Andy Stirling claiming for a penalty after a clumsy challenge from substitute George Stanger.

Currie tipped Bobby Barr's swerving strike over the bar before the Blues got back on level terms.

Having excelled against Raith, Stevenson once again showed his quality, evading his marker at the near post to head past the helpless McCallum.

forfar 20200215 008

Currie was called upon to save from veteran striker Steven Doris not long after the hour mark, but Stranraer looked the likelier side to snatch victory in the closing stages.

After breaking clear into space, Stevenson produced a spectacular long range strike which McCallum did well to palm away.

And substitute James Hilton saw two efforts saved, with another cleared off the line by the Forfar defence.

forfar 20200215 016

But the wait for a win continues for Stranraer, who will have another chance to claw back some much-needed points next week away to East Fife.

Stranraer: Currie, Robertson, Allan, Cummins, McIntyre, McManus, Johnstone (Hilton 68), Hamill, Stirling, Stevenson, Thomson (Elliott 84).
Not used: Burgess, Phillips, Ross.

Forfar Athletic: McCallum, Meechan, Coll, Whyte, Travis (Stanger 43), Irvine, Leitch (Coupe 59), Tapping (Robertson 84), Doris, Kirkpatrick, Barr.
Not used: McGuff, Bain, Mackintosh, Aitken.

Referee: Kevin Graham
Attendance: 370
HT: 1-0

Photos: Stranraer FC