Scorers: Cummins (6), Robertson (39) and Stewart (pen 90+1)

clyde 20191102 b008 pen2

STRANRAER’S long wait for a league victory came to a close as they climbed off the bottom of the table.

The Blues had not tasted victory since a thrilling 3-2 win over Raith Rovers back in August.

Fortunately, with goals from Adam Cummins, Scott Robertson and a penalty from Mark Stewart, the drought was over.

Cummins, who endured a miserable afternoon during the last meeting at Broadwood when he was sent off in the first half, got the ball rolling on six minutes.

clyde 20191102 001

Jordan Allan’s corner was perfect for the central defender who rose highest to bullet a header beyond former Blue David Mitchell, who got a hand to it but could not keep it out.

clyde 20191102 b002

David Goodwillie was the difference maker in the previous meeting when the striker scored five in the 6-1 win.

He would embark on a personal duel with Max Currie throughout much of the afternoon, with the goalkeeper determined to ensure there would be no repeat of that previous encounter.

clyde 20191102 b005 max

Currie first denied Goodwillie on 12 minutes when the frontman won a foot race with Lee Hamilton.

The Stranraer number one came to the very edge of his box to pull off a save and then blocked Martin McNiff’s header from the resultant corner.

Goodwillie was looking, as expected, the main danger for the visitors and Currie again had to be at his best four minutes to deny the frontman.

Hamilton’s afternoon would be cut short just after the half hour mark with the defender replaced by Jamie Hamill, who was making his 100th appearance for the club.

Stranraer thought they had doubled their advantage just seconds later when Cummins again rose highest for Allan’s corner but referee David Dickinson spotted a foul and disallowed the goal.

clyde 20191102 b003 disallowed

Fortunately, the home fans did not have long to dwell on that with the second goal arriving minutes later.

Clyde failed to properly clear a free-kick and Ryan Thomson rolled the ball to Robertson on the edge of the box, with his shot beating Mitchell.

clyde 20191102 005

Stranraer now had a two-goal lead to protect and it was not until midway through the second half that Clyde again threatened.

Goodwillie and Currie resumed their battle with the striker being forced wide before rounding the goalkeeper.

The one time he had the beating of Currie his shot was cleared off the line by the retreating Robertson.

Minutes later and Currie was denying Goodwillie with his legs before Stranraer were screaming for a penalty with seven minutes left.

clyde 20191102 009 jinky

Birthday boy James Hilton beat one man and looked destined to pull the trigger before being pulled back.

Hilton, along with Stevie Farrell and Frank McKeown, called for a penalty but referee Dickinson felt otherwise.

Finally, the third goal arrived and it came from the penalty spot.

clyde 20191102 b007 pen1

It was a goal entirely of substitute Mark Stewart’s making as he chased a lost cause and was then hauled down.

The striker, who has now scored in each of the four Scottish divisions, picked himself up and slotted beyond Mitchell.

A much-needed victory for the Blues, with a second clean sheet in three games providing another welcome boost.

Stranraer: Currie, Robertson, Allan, Cummins, Hamilton (Hamill 32), McManus, Pignatiello, Hilton, Stirling, Dangana (Elliott 69), Thomson (Stewart 75).
Not used: Murphy, I Smith, David Smith and Burgess.

Clyde: Mitchell, Lyon, McNiff, Howie, Rumsby, Grant, Johnston, McStay (Darren Smith 60), Goodwillie, Lamont (Allison 75), Wallace (Cuddihy 60).
Not used: Duffie and McGee.

Referee: David Dickinson
Attendance: 419
HT: 2-0

Photos: Bill McCandlish, Stranraer FC

Gallery 1
Gallery 2