Scorers: East Fife - Wallace (17); Stranraer - Jones (83)


SUPER-SUB Robert Jones' equaliser mere seconds after entering the field earned Stranraer a hard-fought point in Fife.

Ryan Wallace's strike capped a dominant first half for the unbeaten Fifers, but the big striker came off the bench against his former club to head home a crucial late goal.

Stevie Farrell kept faith with the starting lineup which drew a week earlier away to Airdrie.

Of that lineup, Max Currie was the busiest man early on and the Blues had their goalkeeper to thank for some excellent first half saves.

Currie did well to deny Fife striker Anton Dowds' headed effort early on, and saved from Scott Agnew at close range later in the half.

However the keeper could do nothing about Ryan Wallace's strike at the near post which put the hosts in front on 17 minutes.

Cameron Elliott, Adam Cummins and Ryan Thomson could only carve out half chances for Stranraer in what was a dominant first half performance from East Fife overall.

The hosts even had the ball in the net again as Cummins's defensive header sailed past Currie, but the goal was chalked off for a foul by experienced defender Chris Higgins.

Stranraer needed a big second half performance to get anything out of the game and that's exactly what Stevie Farrell's men delivered.

Cameron Elliott looked like bringing the Blues back on level terms as he rounded East Fife keeper Jordan Hart, but pulled his shot wide from a tight angle.

Moments later Andy Stirling hit the artificlal turf under a challenge from Hart, but referee Kevin Graham waved away the Stranraer penalty appeals.

The Blues were well on top throughout the second half with Elliott coming close once more, jinking past a few challenges in the box only to be denied by a good save.

East Fife seemed content to preserve the one-goal lead but had occasional forays forward, with ex-Stranraer man Agnew volleying over from an Anton Dowds knockdown.

However, Stranraer would eventually score the goal their play deserved.

With the opposition keeper stranded, Jones rose highest to head home his first goal for the club.

With neither side able to find an even later winner, both had to settle for a draw in what was the proverbial game of two halves.

After a fixture-free weekend, the Blues will be aiming to pick themselves up off the foot of the table against Dumbarton on 19 October.

Stranraer: Currie, Robertson, Allan, Cummins, Hamill, McManus, Murphy (Dangana 72), Thomson (Pignatiello 45), Stirling, Hilton, Elliott (Jones 82).
Not used: Burgess, Stewart, I Smith, D Smith.

East Fife: Hart, Dunsmore (Hunter 67), Higgins, Murdoch, Dunlop, Slattery, Wallace, Agnew, Watt (Watson 67), Dowds (Denholm 82), Davidson.
Not used: Long, MacKenzie, Church, Boyd.

Referee: Kevin Graham
Attendance: 526
HT: 1-0