clyde 20190914 000b

DAVID GOODWILLIE scored five goals - including a hat trick of penalties - as Clyde ran out comfortable winners over 10-man Stranraer.

Blues keeper Max Currie joined brothers David and Ian Smith in the starting lineup, as Stevie Farrell made three changes from the side which saw defeat to Peterhead a fortnight earlier.

New signing Andy Stirling had to be content with a place on the bench, having put pen to paper on Thursday evening.

Clyde started the sharper side, with Currie called into a fine double save from Raymond Grant and Ally Love with only a few minutes played.

The hosts continued to have chances in the early going, with Goodwillie, Love and Martin McNiff all coming close.

But the contest would swing dramatically in Clyde's favour on the half hour mark.

Love went down in the box under close attention from Adam Cummins, and referee Craig Napier pointed to the spot.

The misery was doubled for Stranraer as the Blues centre back received a red card, before Goodwillie slotted home.

Four minutes later and the hosts had another penalty as Ryan Thomson was penalised in bizarre circumstances.

The midfielder was breaking clear from his own box when play was brought back, seemingly for a stray arm as he burst forward.

After converting the spot kick, Goodwillie then went on to add a third with a shot which left keeper Currie no chance.

Stevie Farrell took the opportunity to breath new life into the Blues ranks for the second half as James Hilton and the returning Andy Stirling looked to salvage something from the bench, but not before Clyde would go further in front.

Goodwillie took a tumble after knocking the ball past Currie, and once more the referee pointed to the spot.

The Blues keeper made the save, but the match official wasn't happy with his positioning and ordered a retake - the striiker making no mistake at the second time of asking.

Stranraer, to their credit, never seemed to give up hope, and the travelling supporters would finally have something to cheer as second half substitutes combined to pull a goal back.

Stirling burst down the wing and supplied Hilton, who kept his cool to slot past former Blues keeper David Mitchell at his near post.

Any hopes of an unlikely comeback were dashed in the closing stages as Darren Smith raced clear to tap home a fifth, before Goodwillie added his fifth - and Clyde's sixth - after showing off some neat close control in the Blues' box.

All in all it was a day to forget for Stranraer, who face another difficult task in the form of title hopefuls Falkirk next weekend.

Stranraer: Currie, Allan, Cummins, David Smith (Hilton 45), Hamill, Robertson, McManus, Ian Smith (Stirling 45), Elliott, Thomson, Stewart (Murphy 76).
Not used: Burgess, Jones.

Clyde: Mitchell, Cuddihy, McNiff, Howie, Rumsby, Grant, Johnston, McStay (Wallace 62), Goodwillie, Lamont (Duffie 76), Love (Darren Smith 64).
Not used: McGee, Petkov.

Referee: Craig Napier
Attendance: 753
HT: 3-0

Photos: Stranraer FC