Scorers: Stranraer – Dangana (86); Peterhead – S Brown (19 and 34)

peterhead 20190831 001

BAD luck and bad defending ultimately cost Stranraer as Scott Brown’s first half double proved enough for Peterhead.

The midfielder had the long-travelled visitors 2-0 up at the break before Stranraer finally started to the threaten the opposition goal.

Twice the woodwork denied the Blues, with David Dangana’s second goal at Stair Park proving a mere consolation.

Stranraer had started the game relatively brightly with Cameron Elliott and Mark Stewart having shots on goal which were blocked by some desperate defending.

However, Peterhead would break the deadlock just before the 20 minute mark.

peterhead 20190831 005

Stranraer failed to really clear a corner and when the ball was worked to Brown on the opposite side of the box he was given too much time to pick his spot.

The low shot caught out the Stranraer defence and crept in off the bottom of the right post.

All of a sudden, the hosts were looking flustered and Peterhead really should have doubled their lead four minutes later.

Paddy Boyle’s cross found the unmarked Rory McAllister but the prolific striker could only plant a header the wrong side of the post from six yards.

Stranraer’s attempts to get anything from the game took a sizeable blow 11 minutes before the interval.

peterhead 20190831 002

Peterhead countered up the field and Brown was again given too much time as he curled the ball home from inside the box.

Mark Stewart was inches away from turning home Jordan Allan’s volley on the stroke of half time but the Blues found themselves with a mountain to climb in the second half.

Four minutes after the restart and that deficit was nearly halved.

James Hilton’s corner found the head of Adam Cummins but the central defender could only watch as the ball beat Greg Fleming and came back off the post.

peterhead 20190831 004

Peterhead smashed the ball clear but Hilton returned it into the box, only for a deflection to carry his cross wide.

Stranraer were enjoying plenty of the ball but just could not find that clinical final touch.

Their chances were improved going into the final 20 minutes though when Peterhead were reduced to ten men.

McAllister tried to knock the ball past Lee Hamilton and the two men collided.

Referee Lloyd Wilson signalled to play on with the Peterhead man racing towards the referee to protest the decision.

The result was a straight red card and Stranraer continued to push forward.

Finally, they got on the scoresheet with four minutes left to play.

Cummins floated an inch-perfect ball into the box and Dangana nodded home to set up a tense final few minutes.

peterhead 20190831 003

Incredibly, Stranraer came within a coat of paint of salvaging a point from the game.

Allan’s long throw into the box caused all sorts of problems and Ian Smith’s shot was deflected and bobbled beyond a helpless Fleming, only for it to strike the post.

In the end, it was a home defeat for the Blues, with Peterhead probably doing enough to justify their three points

Stranraer: Burgess, Robertson, Allan, Cummins, Hamilton, Hamill, McManus, Hilton (I Smith 77), Thomson, Stewart (Jones 69), Elliott (Dangana 69).
Not used: Currie.

Peterhead: Fleming, J Brown, Boyle, Eadie, Dunlop, Ferry, Fraser (Ferguson 70), S Brown (Conroy 47), McAllister, Leitch (Armour 77), A Smith.
Not used: Norris, Willox and Wilson.

Attendance: 265
Referee: Lloyd Wilson
HT: 0-2

Photos: Bill McCandlish