Scorers: Stranraer – McManus (16), Dangana (83) and Elliott (85); Raith Rovers – Miller (48) and Spencer (70)

raith 20190817 b008 connor

TWO goals in the final seven minutes helped Stranraer turn the tables on Raith Rovers and pick up three points.

The Blues had led for the majority of the first half before Raith Rovers equalised three minutes after the break.

When Brad Spencer put the Kirkcaldy side in front, Stranraer looked really up against it but they finished the stronger and took all three points.

Stevie Farrell was able to welcome back Jordan Allan, Lee Hamilton, Cameron Elliott and David Dangana, who had all missed Tuesday evening’s elimination from the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup.

raith 20190817 005

The manager sprung a surprise in sticking with Dale Burgess between the posts, despite Max Currie being free of suspension.

Stranraer started like a team who had performed well in their first two league games and came close with just 71 seconds on the clock.

Scott Robertson swung in a teasing cross from the right and Dangana’s cute header had David McGurn scrambling before it dropped wide of the post.

Jamie Hamill saw an overhead kick drop wide of the same upright before Stranraer broke the deadlock on 16 minutes.

Elliott did well out on the left and found Connor McManus on the edge of the box.

raith 20190817 001 connor

The midfielder had time to take a touch before curling home from 20 yards, which left the veteran goalkeeper with no chance.

Raith had offered little to test Burgess in the first 45 minutes but found their leveller just three minutes after the restart.

Michael Miller nipped in at the near post to head home from a corner.

raith 20190817 003

Momentum threatened to swing in favour of the visitors but they could not carve out clear cut chances.

At the other end, Stranraer almost got their noses back in front but for a stunning last ditch block.

Elliott did well to collect a loose ball and skip past one challenge.

raith 20190817 b001 cami

Just as he pulled the trigger, Kieran MacDonald threw himself in front of the ball to deny an almost certain goal.

Just four minutes later and John McGlynn’s men had managed to turn the game on its head.

Spencer had too much time on the left and he smashed a low shot across Burgess and into the bottom corner of the net.

raith 20190817 007

Still, the hosts were creating chances and Adam Cummins probably should have done better than direct Leon Murphy’s cross wide of the upright with 16 minutes left.

However, with seven minutes remaining the scores were level once again.

McGurn pulled off a stunning save to deny Dangana after Robertson’s low cross.

The ball fell straight back to the man on loan from Aberdeen though and he made no mistake at the second time of asking in rifling the ball into the net.

raith 20190817 008 dangana

All of a sudden, there were seven minutes for either team to go and find what would surely prove to be the winner.

It would come for the home team.

Ian Smith strode forward in the middle of the park and unleashed a great shot from distance.

McGurn did well to get a hand to it but could only succeed in launching the ball into the air.

Elliott was quickest to react to the loose ball and bundled home from close range to secure all three points.

raith 20190817 b003 cami

Stranraer: Burgess, Robertson (D Smith 90+1), J Allan, Cummins, Hamilton, Hamill, McManus, Murphy, Pignatiello (I Smith 72), Elliott, Dangana.
Not used: Adair, Mitchell and Currie.

Raith Rovers: McGurn, Miller, MacDonald, Davidson, Benedictus, Hendry, L Allan, Anderson (Trialist 86), Matthews, Spencer, Bowie (J Smith 71).
Not used: McKay, Watson, J Smith, Tait, Trialist and Munro.

Referee: Greg Aitken
Attendance: 404
HT: 1-0

Photos: Stranraer FC, Bill McCandlish