Scorers: Edinburgh City – McIntyre (7), Rodger (33), Thomson (55) and Henderson (79); Stranraer – Cummins (23) and Anderson (35)

37982861 1739745229428194 5266074202082902016 o

A FLAT second half performance from Stranraer helped Edinburgh City pick up three points and finish above their opponents in Group G of the Betfred Cup.

The Blues were twice behind in the first half but fought back to ensure the scores were level at the break.

However, there would be no repeat after the break with the hosts scoring two unanswered goals at Ainslie Park.

Just seven minutes were on the clock when the hosts opened the scoring.

Edinburgh had already looked threatening down the left through Graham Taylor but it was Robbie McIntyre who broke the deadlock.

The full-back cut in from the wing and blasted an unstoppable drive past Lyle Avci, who was making his senior debut.

Stranraer would bounce back though through Adam Cummins.

The central defender had already been denied by Calum Antell but he scored at the second opportunity.

Again, it was a set-piece and this time his header was over the line, despite the attempts of the home defence to clear the ball.

Stranraer were enjoying a decent amount of the ball but looked equally nervous at the other end.

And so it was Edinburgh who retook the lead just after the half hour mark.

A wonderful free-kick from the right was met by Gareth Rodger and his bullet header from just outside the six-yard box again left Avci with no chance.

The momentum would swing back in Stranraer’s favour, with a second equaliser just two minutes later.

This time, it was Grant Anderson who found the net, with the winger collecting the through ball before sliding it out of the reach of Antell.

Stranraer had the better of the closing stages of the first half with Chris McGowan having a header cleared off the line before Antell did superbly to deny Cummins his second of the day.

There was time for one more bit of drama when Antell dropped Luke Donnelly’s cross before Anderson fired the ball into the empty net, only for the offside flag to be raised.

Unfortunately, that was as good as it would get for the travelling Stranraer fans.

Edinburgh took the lead for a third time when Craig Thomson’s well struck free-kick deceived Avci, who could only divert the ball into the net.

This time, no fightback materialised, with the Blues unable to reproduce their first half efforts.

Edinburgh dominated much of the second half with Antell untested at the other end.

The game was put to bed 11 minutes from time when Edinburgh scored number four.

Avci had already made a good save to deny Blair Henderson but Edinburgh regained possession and the number nine made no mistake at the second time of asking.

The Betfred Cup has served up a little bit of everything for Stranraer but is over for another year and attention now turns to the league opener with Raith Rovers.

Edinburgh City: Antell, Thomson, McIntyre, Black, Balatoni, Laird, A Smith, Henderson, Handling (Stewart 87), Taylor, Rodger.
Not used: Gall, Dunn, Lumsden, Kennedy, McClung and Morton.

Stranraer: Avci, McGowan, McDonald, D Smith, Hamill, Cummins, McManus, Donnelly (Ashmore 84), Anderson, Lamont (Elliott 69), I Smith.
Not used: Brownlie, Lidington and Currie.

Referee: David Dickinson
Attendance: 236
HT: 2-2

SPFL 3L1 6474

1 Raith Rovers 28 53
2 Falkirk 28 52
3 Airdrieonians 28 48
4 Montrose 28 47
5 East Fife 28 45
6 Dumbarton 28 38
7 Clyde 28 34
8 Peterhead 27 26
9 Forfar Athletic 28 24
10 Stranraer 27 16