brora 20171118 003

Scorer: Mackay 90+3

STEVEN Mackay's strike three minutes into stoppage time ensured Stranraer's Scottish Cup journey is over at the first stage.

The long-travelled visitors were impressive for much of the game and the better side over the course of the ninety plus minutes.

Stranraer had an impressive period in the middle of the game but equally had Cameron Belford to thank for keeping the scores blank until the very end.

brora 20171118 009

The goalkeeper denied Scott Graham twice in the first ten minutes with Morgyn Neill also putting in a goal-preventing block to keep out Alexander Sutherland.

The best chance for either team came on the half hour mark.

Scott Robertson, able to play in the Scottish Cup while suspended in the league, did well to block Graham's shot before Stranraer broke forward.

Ryan Wallace collected the ball and reached the opposition box but pulled his shot across the goal and wide of the upright.

Home fans would have likely expected a reaction from their side after a defeat in Airdrie seven days ago.

brora 20171118 004

That failed to really materialise in the first 45 minutes and fans would have been hoping for better in the second half.

Belford did well to deny Graham once again eight minutes after the restart and then tipped Sutherland's curling effort round the post after a clever one-two.

Just after the hour mark and the shotstopper was again called into action with two impressive saves in just a couple of seconds.

First, the Stranraer defence was carved open and he denied Graham before Jamie Hamill blocked off Sutherland on the follow-up.

The danger was not gone though and Belford had to pick himself up and pull off another save to stop Mackay.

brora 20171118 010

Stranraer had the ball in the net through Ryan Thomson with 15 minutes left to play but referee Barry Cook blew for a foul.

Substitute Kyle Turner had added some much needed urgency and he won a corner from which Robertson was denied by a point blank save from Joe Malin.

Finally, with a replay looking increasingly likely, the deadlock was broken.

Some slack defending saw Mackay cut out the ball near the halfway line and burst forward unchallenged.

He had options but opted to go it alone and smashed past a helpless Belford with the clock showing 93 minutes.

brora 20171118 015

It was a goal which sent the Highland League players, management and fans crazy.

There was no way back for Stranraer, who must now correct their inconsistency and concentrate fully on moving up the League One table.

The playoffs have been tantalisingly within touching distance for most of the season, but the Blues must surely string some results together before the chances of reaching the top four slip through their fingers.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Barron, Neill, Woods (Turner 65), Bell, Wallace, Anderson (Okoh 80), Hamill, Thomson.
Not used: Lang, McGowan, Elliott, Stoney and Currie.

Brora Rangers: Malin, Ross, MacDonald, Williamson, Duff, Morrison (Brindle 69), Graham (Pickles 79), MacLean, Sutherland (MacLeod 77), Mackay, Nicholson.
Not used: Lisle, Gunn, Campbell and Counsell.

Referee: Barry Cook
Attendance: 440
HT: 0-0