airdrie 20171111 001

Scorers: Conroy (61 and 68)

RYAN Conroy's second half double ensured it was the Diamonds who were smiling as Stranraer's inconsistency again came back to bite them.

The Blues were marginally the better team during the opening 45 minutes but were not at the races after the interval as the hosts picked up a deserved three points - just their second in nine games.

Stranraer boss Stevie Farrell was forced into one change from the 3-0 victory over Queen's Park, as Grant Anderson was missing through sickness, which saw Morgyn Neill slot into the Stranraer defence.

The Blues were also forced into an early change when Scott Agnew limped off with barely three minutes on the clock.

airdrie 20171111 003

That meant an early introduction for Kyle Turner but the setback did not seem to affect the visitors.

Jamie Hamill stung the palms of Kyle Gourlay with a free kick and they almost opened the scoring just after the quarter hour mark.

airdrie 20171111 002

Turner carved open the defence with a near perfect pass and Ryan Thomson cracked the post with Gourlay beaten.

However, the Diamonds were looking dangerous as well, with Willis Furtado rippling the side netting.

If Stranraer had maybe shaded things in the first period, there was no doubt about who was the better team in the second 45 minutes. The visitors failed to match their first half performance, with the Diamonds well on top for a large chunk of the second half.

It was no real surprise when the hosts opened the scoring through Ryan Conroy, whose driving run looked like it was reaching a dead end until he managed to squeeze a shot across Cameron Belford and into the far corner.

airdrie 20171111 005

It was a goal which stunned Stranraer and they soon found themselves 2-0 down. Conroy was the man of the moment again as he smashed home from just inside the box after a loose defensive clearance.

In truth, things could have been worse, with Furtado twice stinging the palms of Belford, who also pulled off a stunning save to deny Conroy a hat trick.

Stranraer huffed and puffed with Cameron Elliott and Stephen Okoh thrown on in a bid to get something from the game.

airdrie 20171111 007

Their best chance of the second half didn't arrive until stoppage time, when Ryan Wallace saw his fierce drive tipped round the post.

Stevie Farrell's men have only won back to back league games once this season, and their wait for that to happen a second time will have to continue.

Next weekend, the Blues welcome Brora Rangers from the Highland League and a big improvement will be required if they are to continue their Scottish Cup journey.

Airdrieonians: Gourlay, McIntosh, MacDonald, Brownlie, McGregor, Watt, Stewart, Conroy, Furtado, Allan (Hastie 63), Fry (Cairns 84)
Not used: Edwards, Brown, Tierney, Russell and Trialist.

Stranraer: Belford, Dick, Barron, Neill, Hamill, Woods (Elliott 66), Bell, Agnew (Turner 3), Thomson, Wallace, Stoney (Okoh 65).
Not used: Lang, McGowan, Gray and Currie.

Referee: Ryan Milne
Attendance: 641
HT: 0-0