raith 20171021 010

Scorers: Stranraer - Agnew (36); Raith Rovers - Vaughan (11)

SCOTT Agnew's ninth goal of the season ultimately counted for nothing, with Stranraer and Raith Rovers having to do it all over again.

Torrential rain had threatened the game before kick-off and things did not improve, with the Stair Park surface cutting up as the game went on.

With 37 minutes on the clock, referee Gavin Ross had seen enough and called the game off.

raith 20171021 015

Sections of the park were becoming increasingly waterlogged, with the area near the left corner flag at the approach end particularly troublesome.

Although both sides were happy to play on, it was a decision which neither manager complained about following the game, and it means the teams will likely now meet in a midweek clash.

Going into the game, Stevie Farrell made one change with the injured Liam Dick sitting in the stand and Agnew coming into the team.

The manager stuck with the formation that had served them well in last weekend's 2-0 victory over Alloa Athletic.

raith 20171021 001x

Conditions meant that there was an element of a lottery whenever the ball was passed. Sometimes, it would skid off the turf, while others it would get stuck in a puddle.

Raith opened the scoring on 11 minutes through their in-form frontman Lewis Vaughan.

raith 20171021 004

The 21 year old came into the tie with 17 goals from 16 games and took full advantage when Grant Anderson was harshly booked for a foul outside the area.

Vaughan's free kick totally deceived Cameron Belford and flew into the left corner of the net.

raith 20171021 005

Stranraer were far from being overrun against the league leaders, though. Instead, they could have been level 11 minutes later.

Anderson's cross into the box appeared to strike a hand but the referee halted play after goalkeeper Graeme Smith went down in the six yard box.

Greig Spence and Liam Buchanan both had efforts off target at the other end before Stranraer found their leveller.

raith 20171021 011

Ryan Wallace's corner was nodded back across goal by Morgyn Neill and Agnew was on hand to scoop the ball over Smith.

raith 20171021 012
raith 20171021 014

However, almost from the kickoff, referee Gavin Ross decided he had seen enough and after consulting the two managers brought the teams off the park.

It was the correct decision in conditions which were becoming increasingly farcical.

Now, attention turns to Stranraer's trip up the A77 to play second place Ayr United.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Neill, Woods, Bell, Wallace, Agnew, Anderson, Turner, Hamill, R Thomson.
Not used: Barron, Lang, McGowan, Okoh, Elliott, Stoney and Currie.

Raith Rovers: Smith, J Thomson, Herron, Murray, Watson, Spence, Robertson, Buchanan, Vaughan, Barr, Davidson.
Not used: McHattie, Matthews, Osei-Opoku, Court, McKay, Berry and Brian.

Referee: Gavin Ross

Match images