alloa 20171014 001

Scorers: Wallace (58) and Hamill (81)

RYAN Wallace's second half strike sparked Stranraer into life and ensured they were victorious over Alloa.

The frontman, back in the side after missing out at Dumbarton through injury, got that vital first goal of the game just before the hour mark before Jamie Hamill doubled Stranraer's advantage late on.

Those goals brightened up what had been an encounter of very few chances, particularly in the first half.

Stevie Farrell brought Wallace back into the squad, with Scott Agnew dropping to the bench.

alloa 20171014 009

A change in formation with a back three of Scott Robertson, Morgyn Neill and Steven Bell also allowed Liam Dick and Hamill more time to get forward out wide.

Grant Anderson saw a header cleared off the line early doors but it was a first half in which neither goalkeeper was truly tested.

Perhaps the best chance of the opening exchanges came to Paul Woods.

alloa 20171014 000

He linked up well with Hamill before dancing his way past a couple of poor defensive challenges, only to put his shot right into the arms of Neil Parry.

Former Stranraer man Kevin Cawley blazed a volley over at the other end and Anderson had another shot blocked just before half time, but that was about it in the opening 45 minutes.

However, things improved after the break, with both teams starting to find their range on the heavy Stair Park turf and in front of a vocal group from Millennium FC.

alloa 20171014 022

Kris Renton fired an overhead kick wide from the edge of the box before Stranraer started to come to life.

Dick's ball over the top cut open the Alloa defence and was collected by Kyle Turner.

The midfielder is still looking for his first goal of the season and was inches away from breaking the deadlock as his shot skidded beyond Parry, across the goal and wide.

alloa 20171014 012

Finally, the opening goal came - and it did so in spectacular fashion.

Parry's goal kick was headed back with interest by Ryan Thomson, and Wallace raced on to the loose ball before smashing it past the helpless goalkeeper.

alloa 20171014 027
alloa 20171014 003

It was a goal which changed the feel and flow of the game, with Alloa having to throw more men forward.

Agnew, on for Anderson, had time to then try to pick holes in the visitors' defence.

The best of those saw the ball played through to Woods, who got between Daryl Meggatt and Callum Crane.

Meggatt took the decision to bring him down before he could get a shot away and was rewarded with a yellow card from David Munro.

Alloa's shots were coming from outside the box and Paul-Joseph Crossan stung the palms of Cameron Belford before former Blue Craig Malcolm headed past the post.

alloa 20171014 025

Finally, the game was put to bed with Hamill grabbing the second goal of the game.

Substitute Danny Stoney flicked on Belford's goal kick before receiving the ball back from Woods.

Stoney then rolled the ball into the path of Hamill, who had far too much time and space to beat Parry.

alloa 20171014 026
alloa 20171014 019

It was far from a classic encounter between the two sides but three points which sees Stranraer finish quarter one in sixth place but just a point off the play-offs and three points off second place.

Stranraer: Belford, S Robertson, Dick, Neill, Woods (Elliott 88), Bell, Wallace (Stoney 80), Anderson (Agnew 61), Turner, Hamill, Thomson.
Not used: Lang, McGowan, Okoh and Currie.

Alloa Athletic: Parry, Taggart, Crane (Martin 76), Graham, Meggatt, J Robertson, Cawley (Fleming 81), Flannigan, Renton, Crossan, Cook (Malcolm 66).
Not used: Hetherington, Goodwin and Wilson.

Referee: David Munro
Attendance: 409
HT: 0-0

Photos: Glenn Coulter LBIPP, Stranraer FC, Bill McCandlish