clyde 20170815 010

Scorers: Clyde - McNiff (2) and Osadolor (48); Stranraer - Agnew (66 pen), Stewart OG (70) and Wallace (103)

RYAN Wallace's extra time strike rounded off a remarkable comeback for Stranraer, who had trailed 2-0.

Early goals in each half had Clyde on top, with the Blues looking at an early exit from the IRN-BRU Cup.

However, two goals in four minutes levelled the tie before Wallace's first goal for the club ensured it was Stevie Farrell's men who are in the hat for the second round draw.

clyde 20170815 014

As expected, Stranraer made a handful changes from the weekend defeat to Raith Rovers, with Morgyn Neill, Ryan Thomson, Jamie Hamill and Wallace all on the bench.

That meant chances for Tom Lang, Paul Woods, Scott Agnew and Steven Okoh.

Stranraer's chances of progressing took an early blow though, with less than 90 seconds on the clock when the home side took the lead.

Jordan Stewart's free-kick was nodded down by Smart Osadolor into the path of his strike partner David Goodwillie.

The ball was half blocked and came to Martin McNiff, who turned inside the box and his low shot crept past Cameron Belford.

clyde 20170815 001

It was far from the ideal start and things could have got even worse as Goodwillie charged down a Belford clearance but, fortunately, the ball spun wide of the target.

Osadolor - who had a brief spell at Stranraer under Brian Reid - was having a good game and a great run from inside his own half saw Clyde presented with another good chance.

The frontman's shot from the edge of the box was blocked but fell kindly into the path of Darren Ramsay, whose first time effort was well off target.

Stranraer's best effort in the opening half hour had been an Okoh shot, which was comfortably saved.

clyde 20170815 002

clyde 20170815 003

The visitors started to edge their way into the tie however, with Steven Bell unlucky to see his header blocked after Scott Robertson's cross.

Still, the home side were more than worth their half time advantage, which they quickly doubled soon after the restart.

It seemed inevitable Osadolor would have some sort of say and he conjured up a great goal.

He shrugged off David Barron and lifted a great curling effort from inside the box over the stranded Belford to put the Bully Wee 2-0 up.

clyde 20170815 006

The home side were now well in charge with Stranraer failing to truly test Blair Currie - brother of Stranraer's Max - in the home goal.

Farrell's men were given a lifeline though just after the hour mark when Anderson was brought down after some tenacious play in the box.

Agnew stepped up and made no mistake from 12 yards to match his goalscoring tally from last season and all of sudden it felt like Stranraer were back in the game.

clyde 20170815 007a

clyde 20170815 007

The momentum had firmly swung Stranraer's way and Wallace teed up Okoh, who, under pressure, could only nod wide from just a few yards out.

That only delayed the leveller by a matter of minutes though, and again Anderson was involved.

Wallace's free-kick on the left found the ex-Raith Rovers man at the back post and his low, drilled shot deflected off the unfortunate Stewart and spun into the roof of the net.

clyde 20170815 008

Stranraer were turning up the pressure with Scott Robertson and then Okoh denied in quick succession but Clyde had the last and best chance of normal time.

Again, it came to Osadolor, who did everything right in drilling a low, powerful shot, which hit the inside of Belford's left leg and spun to safety.

So, it was on to extra time with Clyde substitute Mark Burbidge and another former Stranraer man Max Wright coming close to putting Clyde back on top.

But it would be the visitors who found the final goal of the evening to finish off an entertaining cup tie.

Currie picked up a pass from his team-mate, which referee Grant Irvine adjudged to have been a pass back.

Many of the home fans - and players - were upset by the decision but Wallace did his bit and smashed home the indirect free kick from close range.

clyde 20170815 012

Stranraer were almost through but they had to survive one more scare when Aaron Millar managed to round Belford, only for the ball to be cleared off the line.

It was far from the perfect performance by Stranraer but one which showed an impressive fighting spirit to refuse to let the game get away from them at 2-0 down.

The victory also ended a near 20-year wait for a victory over the Bully Wee at Broadwood, with Stranraer last tasting victory in May 1998.

clyde 20170815 015

Next for the Blues, a home meeting with Ayr United - the first since our playoff final defeat in 2016.

Clyde: B Currie, Home, McNiff, Breslin, Stewart, Cuddihy, Miller (Millar 105), Flynn (Wilson 105), Ramsay (Wright 68), Osadolor, Goodwillie (Burbidge 68).
Not used: Brown, Harrison and Belkacem.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Barron (Thomson 56), Lang, Woods (Wallace 56), Bell, Agnew (Hamill 108), Anderson, Turner (Stoney 76), Okoh.
Not used: Neill, McKinlay and M Currie.

Referee: Grant Irvine
Attendance: 319
HT: 1-0
FT: 2-2