Partick Thistle FC logo svg

BETFRED Cup opponents Partick Thistle sent a youthful side down to Lochinch to test themselves against a makeshift Stranraer squad.

And the Blues eventually extended their pre-season unbeaten streak, but not before the young Jags gave them a good run for their money.

This was a tighter affair than the scoreline suggested, on a compact pitch which made for a largely unattractive spectacle.

Marauding defender Jamie Hamill had a decent strike turned away by the keeper with only minutes on the clock, but Ryan Thomson made no mistake with the second chance of the game.

Thomson rose to meet an inswinging delivery from fellow former Dunfermline man Ryan Wallace to head Stranraer in front.

New signings Danny Stoney and Stephen Okoh were yet to be formally announced, but the latter had a good chance to make a name for himself midway through the second half.

David Barron played a fine lofted ball from back to front, which Okoh ran onto, but the Englishman saw his shot from a tight angle saved.

Thistle grew into the game, and Cameron Belford had to be alert to save Morgyn Neill's blushes after the big defender was dispossessed by 17 year old Partick striker Connor Higgins.

Neill was cursing his luck minutes later, as the referee awarded what looked to be a soft penalty against him for handball.

Up stepped Higgins, who sent Belford the wrong way this time to level the scores at 1-1.

Stoney sliced wide with the last chance of the half, and it was all square at the break.

partick 20170705 001

It would be the former Rangers man's last action of the match. He came off at half time, along with most of the team, as Grant Anderson, Paul Woods, Scott Agnew, Liam Dick, Tom Lang and two trialists - one at left back, one up top - entered the fray.

Agnew wasted no time in putting Stranraer into the lead at 2-1, but Thistle hit back through their left winger, who beat Lang and slotted home to make it 2-2.

The Jags swapped keepers, but were immediately punished. Agnew had his second - a crisp, left footed strike from the edge of the box into the bottom right hand corner.

And to top it off, substitute Anderson made it 4-2 with a downward header in the dying moments from Paul Woods' cross.

So, Stranraer remain unbeaten after three pre-season games, but with a much bigger test ahead on Saturday in the form of Dutch giants FC Twente.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson (Anderson), Neill (Lang), Barron (Dick), McGowan (Trialist), Hamill, Bell, Thomson, Wallace (Agnew), Stoney (Woods), Okoh (Trialist).

00a FC Twente W