albion 20180310 001

Scorers: Stranraer - Turner (33 and 34); Albion Rovers - Hamill OG (50), Hester (82) and McLeish (86)

A SPIRITED second half comeback saw Albion Rovers end their winless streak after fighting back from 2-0 down.

Kyle Turner's quickfire double seemed to have the Blues well on top at the break but no points are awarded after 45 minutes.

Instead, an unfortunate Jamie Hamill own goal was followed by Kane Hester and Craig McLeish grabbing their first goals for the visitors, with the game turned on its head late on.

The Blues came into the tie within touching distance of the 40 point marker that will likely be enough to keep them up.

albion 20180310 004

At the same time, they welcomed their rivals without the services of David Barron, Angus Beith and Cameron MacPherson through injury and were further depleted with the absence of Morgyn Neill through suspension.

Still, the absent quartet did not seem to impact upon the Blues in the first half.

Turner, Stephen Okoh and Dean Hawkshaw had all come close to opening the scoring in the first 30 minutes.

It would be Turner, who broke the deadlock, thanks to a smart finish.

albion 20180310 006

Dylan Dykes, who was slotting in at right back, saw his free kick clip the top of the wall.

The ball fell into the path of Turner and he swept home from 20 yards, despite Kieran Wright managing to tip the shot onto the post.

albion 20180310 007

Stranraer fans - and Turner - had barely finished celebrating when they notched the second goal.

Albion Rovers failed to deal with Grant Anderson's low cross and Turner was in the right place to smash home from eight yards.

albion 20180310 011
albion 20180310 012

Alan Trouten was denied by Hamill at the other end but Anderson was unlucky not to put the game to bed when his header across goal dropped the wrong side of the post.

Stranraer being on top in the first 45 minutes gave no indication of what was to come after the restart.

The third goal was always going to be crucial and Hamill was unlucky to see his attempted interception to Gary Fisher's shot fly beyond Max Currie just five minutes into the second half.

albion 20180310 015

Okoh and Trouten would both have goals ruled out for offside before the game turned on the introduction of Hester with 17 minutes left to play.

The striker, on loan from Arbroath, took advantage of some slack defending to pull the visitors level with eight minutes left.

A quickly taken free kick found the substitute wide on the right and he sprinted towards goal before smashing the shot through Currie at his near post.

albion 20180310 017

Four minutes later and he turned provider in setting up fellow substitute Craig McLeish for the winner.

This time, his cross from the right was matched by McLeish's run and the ex-Queen's Park man fired home via the underside of the crossbar.

albion 20180310 018

The Blues threw everything forward in the closing stages to find a leveller but the game could have finished 4-2 but for the intervention of Currie and then Hamill to deny Trouten.

A frustrating day at the office for the home side, who will likely feel they should have been toasting three points given the half time score.

Stranraer: Currie, Robertson, McGowan, Hamill, Dykes, Hawkshaw (Elliott 87), Anderson, Turner, Lyon (Woods 73), Thomson, Okoh (Agnew 73).
Not used: Scott, Gray, Simpson and McLaren.

Albion Rovers: Wright, McLaughlin, Baur, Perry, Mbayo, Holmes (Guthrie 88), Fisher (McLeish 83), Davidson, Victoria, Trouten, Watters (Hester 73).
Not used: McMullen, MacDonald, Scullion and Potts.

Referee: David Lowe
Attendance: 281
HT: 2-0

Photos: Stranraer FC, Bill McCandlish

Gallery 1
Gallery 2