albion 20171221 010

Scorers: Stranraer - Wallace x2 (pen 37, pen 88); Albion Rovers - Trouten x2 (7, pen 52)

INJURY-HIT Stranraer made it four games unbeaten after Ryan Wallace twice cancelled out his opposite number Alan Trouten to consolidate 3rd place in League 1.

And despite both strikers netting two goals apiece, referee Craig Napier was arguably the key figure, awarding three penalties during what was an eventful 90 minutes at Stair Park.

Stevie Farrell kept his faith in the team which defeated Forfar Athletic just 3 days earlier.

Visiting side Albion Rovers were without a win since September, but went ahead after only seven minutes.

albion 20171221 001

Cameron Belford could only parry Trouten's initial effort, with the Rovers forward sweeping a shot past the Blues keeper on the rebound.

Stranraer dominated possession in the opening half hour but couldn't find a breakthrough, and Albion were looking threatening on the break.

Trouten almost made it two after intercepting a wayward block from Morgyn Neill, but his low strike darted wide of the left hand post after taking a deflection.

Home fans were cursing their luck on the 35 minute mark as captain Steven Bell was forced off through injury, with Paul Woods his replacement.

albion 20171221 002

But the Blues responded just over a minute later.

A penalty was awarded after the match official spotted a push in the box.

And just like on Saturday, Wallace tucked it away into the bottom corner.

albion 20171221 004

Rovers manager Brian Kerr was none too happy with the decision, and was sent to the stand after making his feelings known to the officials.

albion 20171221 006

Home midfielder Ryan Thomson almost marked his 100th appearance for Stranraer by conceding a goal, after misjudging a passback.

Trouten intercepted the loose ball and rounded the goalkeeper, but David Barron managed to get back in time to clear away his goalbound shot.

But following the half time break, Rovers went ahead again.

Neill was adjudged to have handled in the box, and Trouten made no mistake from 12 yards to put the visitors in front at 2-1.

albion 20171221 009

A makeshift back four of Jamie Hamill, Scott Robertson, Liam Dick and Chris McGowan contested the final half hour, as Neill and Barron were substituted - the latter through injury.

Woods, Robertson and Wallace all came close as the Blues searched for an equaliser, before substitute Joao Victoria hit the post for Rovers.

It took another penalty decision for Stranraer to salvage a point.

albion 20171221 011

As the home side piled on the pressure, Grant Anderson was tripped inside the box by Albion keeper Daniel Potts.

Wallace was on hand again, blasting the spot kick high to the left of goal to overtake Scott Agnew as the Blues' top scorer.

albion 20171221 013

It was far from the best performance in recent weeks, but the Blues emerged in a good position heading into difficult away ties with Alloa and Raith.

The next home game sees Stranraer welcome league leaders Ayr United on Saturday 2 January.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Barron (McGowan 63), Neill (Dick 62), Hamill, Bell (Woods 35), Anderson, Beith, Thomson, Wallace, Turner.
Not used: McLaren, Okoh, Elliott, Stoney.

Albion Rovers: Potts, Lightbody, McLaughlin, Reid, Perry, Holmes, Fisher, Davidson, Trouten, Hopkins (McMullin 56), Shields (Victoria 83).
Not used: McLeish, Guthrie, Fallon, Watters.

Referee: Craig Napier
HT: 1-1
Attendance: 303