QP5xScorer: Gibson (60)

WILLIE Gibson's fine goal ended Queen's Park's eight-game unbeaten run and saw Stranraer end their own five-match spell without three points.

It was far from a classic at Hampden Park, with Gibson's goal on the hour enough to see the Blues move above both Stenhousemuir and Peterhead at the foot of the table.

Brian Reid made two changes from the side who had lost 2-1 to Airdrieonians last time out with the fit again David Barron replacing the injured Ryan Thomson and club captain Steven Bell in for the injured Frank McKeown.

It was a game of very few chances, with Gibson firing an early free-kick over the bar from fully 35 yards and Aiden Malone flicking a header past the post at the other end.

QP3Craig Thomson was enjoying plenty of space on the right hand side and his brilliant turn saw the park open up for him. His cross was slightly behind Joe Nuttall though and the striker could only direct the header tamely wide of the upright.

If the Spiders perhaps edged the opening 45 minutes, then the Blues certainly came out an improved outfit after the break.

Stranraer were the first to threaten when Gibson beat two men before cutting into the box and finding Scott Agnew.

The midfielder has been in improved form as of late but could only scoop his shot over the bar with only William Muir to beat.

That was merely a warning though and the Blues broke the deadlock bang on the hour mark.

Gibson had been threatening and blasted home from 20 yards for his seventh goal of the season.
Understandably, it was a goal which sparked the home side into life and there was a greater sense of urgency about their attacks.

They pushed forward but too often their final ball was lacking or their efforts were off target and Cameron Belford was rarely called into action.

The final whistle meant Stranraer's winless run was over, and saw them move off the bottom and up to eighth.

It would be fair to say there is plenty of work still to be done but it was an important three points.

Queen's Park: Muir, Wharton, S Gibson (Brown 80), McKernon, McGeever, Cummins, Woods, Galt, Malone (MacPherson 63), Brady, Burns. Not used: McVey, McLeish, Mortimer, Foy and Stott.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Barron, Bell, Morena, Turner, C Thomson (Watt 82), W Gibson, Agnew, Nuttall (Malcolm 67). Not used: Johnstone, Sherrie, Maley and Currie.

Referee: David Munro

SPFL 3L1 6474

1 Airdrieonians 0 0
2 Arbroath 0 0
3 Brechin City 0 0
4 Dumbarton 0 0
5 East Fife 0 0
6 Forfar Athletic 0 0
7 Montrose 0 0
8 Raith Rovers 0
9 Stenhousemuir 0 0
10 Stranraer 0 0



Grant Anderson, Kyle Turner, Jamie Hamill, Chris McGowan, Andrew McDonald (St Mirren), Max Currie, Lyle Avci (Ayr United), Cameron Elliott, Sam Lidington, Mark Lamont (East Fife), David Brownlie (Airdrieonians), David Smith (Dumbarton).

OUT: Angus Beith (end of loan), Dylan Dykes (end of loan), Dean Hawkshaw (end of loan), Ross Lyon (end of loan), Cameron MacPherson (end of loan), David Barron, Stephen Okoh, Scott Robertson (Airdrieonians), Ryan Thomson, Morgyn Neill (Stenhousemuir), Scott Agnew (East Fife), Gavin Scott (scholarship, USA).

View squad