Albion 2Scorers: Albion Rovers: R Stewart (15) and Wallace (Pen 44 and 77); Stranraer: Gibson (38) and Nuttall (72)

A DEFLECTED free-kick less than 15 minutes from full time saw Stranraer's winless run stretch to four matches.

The Blues last savoured victory at Ochilview on October 15 and, despite pulling level twice, they left with nothing from Cliftonhill.

Brian Reid made three changes from the side who lost out to Queen's Park, with Giuliano Morena, Willie Gibson and new signing Joe Nuttall coming into the team, with Frank McKeown, Scott Agnew and Kyle Turner on the bench.

It was the hosts who opened the scoring when a long ball over the top caught out the Stranraer defence.

Ross Stewart held off Steven Bell and, with the travelling fans calling for offside, the striker slotted the ball beyond Cameron Belford.

However, Stranraer scored their first first half goal since the trip to Stenhousemuir seven minutes before the break.

Gibson cut inside two men and, although his shot looked tame, it deceived Ross Stewart in the Albion goal.
Albion 3
But the Blues could not keep things level until the break.

Albion had a corner on the left swung in by Ryan Wallace but Scott Robertson was penalised for a spot of wrestling in the six yard box.

Wallace then stepped up and sent Belford the wrong way to give the home side a half time lead.

Stranraer showed their battling spirit after the break and were inches away from levelling just before the hour mark.

Nuttall was unlucky not to grab his first goal for the club when Stewart turned the striker's crisp volley round the post.

Then, from the corner, former Blue Michael Dunlop flicked Bell's header onto the post.

The second equaliser came 20 minutes from time with Gibson's pass collected by Nuttall and smashed home on the volley from outside the box.

But again, the Blues were not level for long.
Albion 1Wallace's free-kick looked on target but the massive deflection deceived Belford and ensured the points remained in Coatbridge.

Stranraer pushed for a third leveller in the final 15 minutes and had their own penalty shout waved away as they failed to grab a potentially deserved point.

Albion Rovers: Ross Stewart, Reid, McBride, Fisher, R Dunlop, M Dunlop, Boyd (Ferguson 89), Davidson, Wallace (Turnbull 81), Willis (McCann 77), Ross Stewart.
Not used: Ferry, Gilmour, Potts and Shields.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Watt, Bell, Morena (Turner 61), C Thomson (McGuigan 65), R Thomson, Gibson, Malcolm, Nuttall.
Not used: McKeown, Agnew and Currie.

Referee: Alan Muir
Attendance: 321
HT: 2-1

SPFL 3L1 6474

 Pos  Team  Pld   Pts 
1 Raith Rovers 26 57
2 Ayr United 25 51
3 Alloa Athletic 24 39
4 Arbroath 23 38
6 Airdrieonians 25 32
7 East Fife 26 30
8 Forfar Athletic 26
9 Albion Rovers 24 23
10 Queen's Park 26 21

Updated 17/2/18 at 5pm


00 Stranraer FC 2015 Logo
3 Number Lotto
Sunday 10 December 2017

Numbers: 1, 14, 20
1 winner at £2000:

Congratulations to:
Iain, Kilmirren Avenue, Stranraer